Categories
Mold

Orange Mold and How To Deal with It

One of the common problems in your shower or bathroom is an orange mold. If you face this problem, it is better to clean it up immediately before getting worse.

This article explains to you about orange mold and what do you have to do to get rid of it from the bathroom. You will also learn how to keep your shower or bathroom free from this mold.

About Orange Mold

Just like the name, this mold is orange and disgusting. The texture of the mold is slimy. Commonly, you can find orange mold in shower. The sign that a particular area is used by the mold to grow is when you see small spots. When you let the spots, it grows larger into a slimy colony.

The habitat of this organism is in the damp and humid areas. That’s why you will also see the orange mold in toilet bowl, wood, and many more. It also grows well in food such as bread, cheese, and yogurt.

How Can Orange Mold Grows in Your Shower and Bathroom?

The first thing to understand is that this mold love to stay and grow in the humid, wet, and a little bit dirty. A shower and bathroom are two best places to grow, especially if you don’t clean the shampoo or soap residue.

The mold grows larger in the bathroom and shower which is exposed by water constantly, especially water with high acid level or mineral. You can see mold in the toilet bowl if you don’t clean the toilet well. Bacteria will grow in the water and trigger the orange mold to grow there.

Orange Mold and Health Risks

Some of you may ask about orange mold health risks. Is mold dangerous for your health? The good news is that it is not a dangerous organism. It is still uncomfortable to see the mold around your living area, especially the bathroom. The appearance looks disgusting and unpleasant and it shows that the area is dirty.

Although it is not a dangerous or life-threatening species you still have to be careful because it gives negative effects for those who are suffering from allergy or respiratory problems. Just get rid of the mold immediately if you have a weak immune system because it makes your health worse.

If you let the mold without any treatment, it may damage the house structures and affect the taste of the tap water. It is the same case if the mold attacks your food in which you can’t eat the food anymore.

Orange Mold Outside Your House

Orange mold grows anywhere as long as the area is suitable for them. The species can grow indoor or outdoor. It is a common thing to see orange mold in mulch or orange mold growing on wood.

Just be careful if you see it around your favorite plants because it gives negative effects to the plants. It may be good if this organism grows in compost because it helps to parse the organic waste to become a great compost although the smell can be a little bit musty.

Orange Mold on Food

Several types of molds are growing on food such as bread, cheese, and other dairy products. Don’t let your brie too long otherwise you will see orange mold on brie.

So, can orange mold make you sick if it is found on food or brie? When you find mold on food it means that the quality of the food is reduced. It can be because you don’t store the food well and let it until the expired date.

Indeed, you are not allowed to eat food or brie that contains mold around it. You may eat the parts that not affected the mold, but for your safety, it is better to throw away the food. Just through the food on the compost bin and let it be a good fertilizer for your plants.

The Way to Know Orange Mold Look Like

For those who want to know what does orange mold look like, you can make a small experiment. Just leave a loaf of bread for a few days or weeks. Slowly but sure, you will see small spots around the bread.

The small spots turn into orange or yellow and it is called orange mold. If you let the bread for a few more days, the mold will cover all parts of the bread.

Tips to Getting Rid of Orange Mold

The next thing you must know is the way to get rid of the orange mold if it is attacked in your living area. The first thing to do is to make sure that your living area is clean and hygiene.

Let’s say, flush the toilet properly to reduce the bacteria. You also need to clean your bathroom with a brush regularly to remove any residue, especially soap and shampoo residues.

Don’t let the bathroom and shower too wet and moist because the temperature triggers bacteria and mold to grow there. If you see mold, just get rid of it by using vinegar.

Mix a tablespoon of vinegar and a bowl of water. Spray the mixture to the mold and let it for 10 to 15 minutes. Scrub the mold and repeat the treatment if it is necessary until the mold is gone.

The earlier you clean the mold, the better so you can clean it without extra effort. For example, if you see orange powdery mold on wood, create the mixture and get rid of them immediately. Don’t wait for the bright orange mold on wood grows larger otherwise you have to call an expert to get rid of them.

Moreover, you also have to spend extra money to fix the structure of the building because of the damaged wood.

In conclusion, orange mold is not a dangerous species, but you still have to get rid of it to prevent any unwanted effects. It may affect your health so it is better not to get close or even eat food containing orange mold.

You still have to get rid of the orange mold if they grow on the house structure or plants. You may let them grow in the compost bin because it helps the composting process.